January is the perfect time to evaluate your business and clean out the cobwebs. Over the next few of weeks, I will share what and how you might want to assess.
So the first thing I recommend is to look at your websites.
Items to assess:
- Is your site functioning and does it have Google Analytics installed, tracking your traffic?
- Are you collecting email addresses at the site so you can follow up interested site visitors later? Do you have a series of auto-responders developed to make this process easier?
- How many unique visits per month are you getting?
- How many backlinks do you have? Companies that blog have 97% more inbound links than those that don’t. Creating great content is the key to getting inbound links. And what is your page ranking? This is a tool I use, it is a plug-in for Firefox http://www.seoquake.com and it is free. Or you can use www.websitegrader.com (also free) and it will also give you suggestions for improving your site, show you how many backlinks, but not your actual page ranking. If you just want to check page rank I have a free tool posted on the bottom of my resource page.
- Are you making any money from your site? Or is it delivering what you expect?
If you have work to do on your site: you have to improve your page ranking, implement a lead generation strategy, add keywords to pages, titles and meta tags, etc, how long will it take you to complete the work? Remember it will always take longer than you believe.
If you determine you need more traffic you might want to download Top 7 Strategies for Driving Traffic.
One more thing to consider if something is not working it is okay to throw it out. Don’t be emotionally attached to the stuff, instead make good business decisions.
Now pull out your calendar and schedule time to work on any issues you discovered. You don’t have to complete it all at once but if you don’t schedule time you probably won’t get to it. Tackle your website assessment over the next couple of days and then get ready for what comes next…Cleaning up your tools.